Experimenting with Transferring Text and Images
This is the original text that I printed out. The font used is a old typewriter style that I found online. I had been thinking of buying an old typewriter from ebay to get this effect which would be more authentic so i may still do that one day.
Below the text is transferred onto board using emulsion. I quite like this, especially having the textured background of the paint. This may be useful for transferring text onto old wooden objects but i think I’d want to do something to make the paint look more aged first.
Next I tried getting the outline of the text using carbon paper and then drawing on top in pencil, rubbed part away at the end. I liked the idea of this more than the outcome. But when I played about with the contrast of the photo in photo-shop I did like the effect of the dissapearing text.
Finally transferring text onto marbled paper using cellulose thinner. I included a photographic image of myself as well this time. Again I prefer the more dramatic effect after altering the contrasts in photo-shop but then you are back to having a printed out image, all be it an altered one, which I think I was trying to move away from lol.
The self portraits transferred well using the thinners. I quite like both effects – the first a gentle almost ghost like image using a soft tool to transfer, and the second like a scribbled sketch by using a sharper tool. Anyway fun to have a day of experimenting!